August 11, 2019

Linux Mint 19.2 and KDE

I'm currently on Linux Mint 17.3, which is now out of long term support.  I've been happy with Linux Mint, but use KDE, which Linux Mint has stopped using/supporting starting with Linux Mint 19.  Sites out there indicate that it is still possible to use KDE, so I decided to give it a try on a laptop loaded with Linux Mint 17.3.  I went with the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint 19.2.

Other sites out there indicate that this is possible using a ppa or just using apt to install kubuntu-desktop, kde-plasma-desktop, and kscreen.  Both ways just resulted in dependency errors that I could not easily resolve and I did not want to spend the time to work it out.  I did find that going to kde-full in the software repository worked, though.

To a point.  One item gave an error, but worst of all, something with kwin seems broken (all indications are that it is installed) - the top bar for minimizing, maximizing, and closing a window does not show up.  Also as a result of this, you can't move windows around.  Rebooting did not fix this.

I don't really want to go to another distribution at this time, so will try playing around with Cinnamon further.  I really do not like the menu and hope that I can modify it or somehow go with another menu, but so far, just looking through settings, it does not look possible.

No comments: