January 4, 2008

Reno and Sparks, Nevada storm report

Today's storm has definitely been an unusual one. It is rare enough for Reno and the surrounding area to have precipitation all day. It was raining when I woke up this morning at 6:20 and continued raining until it started turning into snow a little bit before 5:00 this evening. What made this storm unusual was the consistent strong wind that we have had all day, and blizzard conditions are expected until around 6:00 in the morning. Thankfully, my umbrella survived the strong wind where two or three umbrellas I saw did not.

We supposedly had flooding in a few areas (the past two floods have also been near New Year's Day), downed power lines, and a rock slide at the Vista Blvd. exit for Interstate 80. I have only heard of one power outage so far.

The snow is piling up as I type this and looks to be almost an inch thick. Forecasts expect us to get about 6 inches from this round of the storm.

No comments: