February 15, 2009

IPIP-NEO personality test

The IPIP-NEO personality test (International Personality Item Pool Representation of the NEO PI-R) looks at 5 broad domains and 30 sub domains of personality. While the full IPIP test consists of 1,699 items, the link leads to a short test of 120 items.

The IPIP-NEO is more complex than the more popular Myers Briggs personality type and as such gives a more indepth look of the personality of an individual, including those aspects that would be considered negative. One weakness I would give this test is that it is a self-assessment, so honesty with yourself is important.

I thought the results of my own test were pretty accurate; the only part that I thought was inaccurate were some of the scores under Neuroticism that I thought should have been higher (more negative). That could just be a lower view of myself than is accurate, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're interested in a real psychology-based personality test, check out our Personality Patterns app; it provides very detailed feedback in a visually, interactive format, along w/some cool social features

Steve said...

Thanks for sharing, David.