July 12, 2013

A Sudden Drop in Available Hard Drive Space

My Gentoo Linux desktop suddenly went from the usual 138 GB or so of free space to about 65 MB. As I had not downloaded any large files recently to explain such a big loss, I went about hunting for the culprit. A usage of du -sh in various folders eventually found that a Plex log file in "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs" was taking up all of that space. Apparently some Plex users found this issue with version 0.9.7.9, but I was experiencing it with 0.9.7.17 as well and that it caused some heavy CPU usage as well. I upgraded to 0.9.7.22 using the megacoffee overlay, but I am unable to connect to Plex/Web, even after re-starting Plex. I'll have to see if a reboot of the computer fixes that and if the upgrade fixed this problem.

No comments: