October 22, 2006

Advertising on the DMV Website?

I was more than a bit surprised to find advertising on the DMV's website. My first thoughts were "Why is a government agency having ads on their website? Don't our taxes and fees pay for this?" I don't think that would put the DMV in a good light. We already face ads on so many other websites and to see one on a government website just doesn't feel right. If it is an ad for another government agency, that is one thing, but to advertise for other companies?

At the same time I think that if they can make money on this and it results in a reduced cost for me, then maybe it isn't so bad. I also know, as a webmaster for a local government website, that finding funds for programs and projects is always an issue and that this would be an avenue for getting some of those funds.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of this.

No comments: