September 9, 2007

k3b CD burning issue

I've come across an issue where k3b does not see a blank CD-R that I've put in my CD/DVD burner drive. It would just keep repeating that I need to put media into the drive.

I found and translated some French and Italian posts that gave me an idea of what was going on, but I could not repeat the steps they were doing to fix the issue.

I first tried updating k3b to the latest masked package in Gentoo, but it still had the problem. I looked over the change logs for the previous versions that cdrkit compatibility did not come about until version 1, though it did not make a difference to me.

I went back to the stable version of k3b and replaced cdrkit with cdrtools, which I've heard is having some issues in Gentoo. I still got complaints about no media being in the drive, but when I forced it this time. it eventually went about burning a CD. It's not perfect, but at least it is functional. I was worried that there was something wrong with my drive, even though it read burned CDs and DVDs just fine.

No comments: