June 11, 2008

Mini Canon PowerShot SD890 IS review

Canon PowerShot SD890 IS

Jun 11, 2008 by Steve

4 out of 5 stars
When I decided to purchase another camera (having an old Kodak DC3400 that collects dust, a Canon Powershot G6, and a Canon Digital Rebel XT), the Vapor's song "Turning Japanese" goes through my head as well as the scene from Airplane where the Japanese tourist falls over from having too many cameras hanging around his neck.

My decision to buy a camera was not just for the sake of buying a camera, though. The main reason was to have a camera that I could take with me wherever I go. I did not want to carry a camera bag or wear the camera around my neck all of the time. I ended up going with the Canon PowerShot SD890IS. I went with it because:


  • It is small enough to fit into my pocket.

  • I can access Manual mode through a dial and not layers of menus.

  • It has an eye view - other models did not have this and I did not want to rely on an LCD screen, especially in brightly lit places.

  • It has a rechargeable battery.


I also wanted a good resolution, but it was not that important, as I am using this camera so I do not have those moments where I come across something and wish that I had a camera with me. For any planned, important images, I will take my Digital Rebel XT or my Powershot G6 (only if I do not want to bring the Digital Rebel XT for some reason).

I have not liked how my shots with flash in low light settings have turned out, but I chalk that up to my lack of experience with flash photography. The main thing that bugs me about this camera is the power button - it is tiny, difficult to press at times, and has to be pressed at the right angle for the camera to actually turn on or off.

No comments: