May 25, 2009

Gentoo Linux Not Seeing All CPU Cores

I noticed a couple of days ago that emerge was running slower than usual and that the rest of my system would come to a crawl while trying to do other things. After looking at gkrellm and dmesg, I find that the kernel only activated one CPU, even though I have a quad core system and the kernel has SMP activated, the correct CPU, and the correct number of max CPUs/cores. I'm going to upgrade my kernel now and hope that this fixes the problem.

Update: After upgrading the kernel (and a few recompiles of the kernel), it looks like the problem was not having ACPI support compiled into the kernel. dmesg did show a message saying there is a bug in the BIOS, that it would be using some kind of default hardware profile, and to contact the hardware vendor on the BIOS bug. A search did show someone else who had this problem that apparently had it go away after compiling ACPI into the kernel, which appears to be the case for me.

No comments: