August 22, 2010

Thoughts on the 2010 MacBook Pro

CUPERTINO, CA - OCTOBER 14:  A member of the p...Image by Getty Images via @daylife
I purchased the 2010 MacBook Pro a month ago (with the i7 CPU) and have been pretty satisfied with it so far. It's definitely a world of difference from the old Powerbook G4 that I upgraded from.

I was never fully comfortable with the Powerbook's 1 button mouse pad, but I am less comfortable with the MacBook Pro's buttonless mouse pad. When trying to use it for the first time in an Apple store, I was trying to do two quick taps as a click. It wasn't until much later that I realized that the whole mouse pad acts as a button that you can press down on. It's no big deal for me, as I plug in a regular 2-button mouse so I don't have to deal with it.

The DVD drive moved from the front to the right side of the laptop and all connections moved to the left side of the laptop. While this is fine (it is much better than a laptop I have that has all USB ports on the front right side, making things a bit uncomfortable for using a corded USB mouse), it gets very crowded, as I am using each connection.

Instead of a button to release and lift up the screen, the MacBook Pro has a groove for you to reach under and lift up the monitor. While it is workable, it isn't always easy to get open and I recommend having one hand hold down part of the laptop while the other one tries to lift the monitor up.

The MacBook Pro loads quickly, which is a relief from the long boot up times I was seeing on the Powerbook. It's also much more enjoyable to work with my Canon 7D photos in Photoshop - it painfully slow on the Powerbook.

I have not played with the MacBook Pro while it is not plugged in to see how the battery time is, but look forward to seeing if it lasts as long as advertised.

No comments: